Halloween spending expected to reach record levels
MENASHA — Halloween spending is expected to soar to pre-pandemic levels, with 65% of Americans intending to celebrate the fall holiday.
According to the National Retail Federation’s annual survey conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics, consumer spending on Halloween-related items is expected to reach an all-time high of $10.14 billion, up from $8.05 billion in 2020. Total spending on costumes is the highest it has been since 2017 at $3.32 billion.
“Americans plan to spend more than ever to make this Halloween a memorable one,” NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay said.
Forty-six percent plan to dress in costume this year. Here’s what is expected to be popular this Halloween.
- Top costumes for children in order of popularity: Spider-Man, princess, Batman, superhero, witch, ghost, pumpkin, Superman, zombie and Avengers characters.
- Top costumes for adults: Witch, vampire, ghost, cat, pirate, Batman, zombie, Superman/the Joker, Spiderman, Dracula, Avengers character.
- Costume choices often are influenced by what we see in the movies or on TV. This year what’s trending is Cruella De Vil, Wednesday Addams, “Bridgerton,” “The Great British Baking Show” costumes and “Schitt’s Creek” characters like Moira Rose.
- Every year pop culture and social media impacts what’s hot. Unicorns, which have been big the past few Halloweens, will be out in force again this year. Other top costume ideas will be Jeff Bezos in space, virtual work meeting, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Simone Biles and The Weeknd.
- And don’t forget your pet! Dressing our pets has become a big part of Halloween fun, and one in five intending to dress their pet up for Halloween. The most popular pet costumes are pumpkin, hot dog and superhero, according to the NRF.
Since 1971, Goodwill NCW has served as the Original Halloween Headquarters.
- Score secondhand costumes that are ready to wear or create your own unique look that frights or delights.
- Find new and ready-made accessories, masks, makeup, wigs and other fun items to complete your costume.
- Feel good about your Halloween purchases. Not only do you get a one-of-a-kind look with our donated treasures or ready-to-wear costumes, you also are helping your local community by providing job training and opportunities to people with barriers to employment.
About Goodwill: Goodwill NCW is a nonprofit human services organization whose mission is Elevating People by Eliminating Barriers to Employment across 35 counties in north central Wisconsin. The organization includes 27 retail stores and training centers in communities from Manitowoc to La Crosse, human services programs, unique shopping experiences at its boutiques and Appleton outlet store, plus online shopping at www.shopgoodwill.com. Goodwill NCW is a Platinum Level member of GuideStar.org, the world’s largest source of nonprofit organization information. Visit www.goodwillncw.org