Items You’ll Need
To ensure you have everything you need for your tax return filing, be sure to review this checklist and, for your convenience, print a copy here.
REQUIRED items to bring:
- Photo ID for yourself and spouse (if filing jointly)
- Social Security Cards, SSA-1099 or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse and any dependent you will be claiming
- Birthdates for you, your spouse and any dependents you are claiming
- If filing a joint return, your spouse must be present
Additional items to bring:
- Last year’s tax returns, both state and federal, if you have them. If you do not have a copy, you can obtain a transcript at irs.gov.
- Bank routing and account numbers if you want to direct-deposit your return (a check will have this information on it).
- All wage and earnings statements, W-2, W-2G & 1099 from all employers.
- Unemployment compensation statement (1099-G).
- Educational Expenses.
- Health Insurance marketplace Statement (1095-A).
- Any other information about income and/or expenses. See this checklist for other items you may need.
* If you believe you will be eligible for Wisconsin Homestead Credit, available to qualifying Wisconsin residents with an income under $24,680, you will also need:
- Your property tax bill or rent certificate
- Social Security benefits received during the tax year, including:
- Federal & State SSI amounts
- Caretaker Supplemental Payments
- Wisconsin Works payments
- Child Support received during the year you are filing.