Items You’ll Need


To ensure you have everything you need for your tax return filing, be sure to review this checklist and, for your convenience, print a copy here.

REQUIRED items to bring:

  • Photo ID for yourself and spouse (if filing jointly)
  • Social Security Cards, SSA-1099 or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse and any dependent you will be claiming
  • Birthdates for you, your spouse and any dependents you are claiming
  • If filing a joint return, your spouse must be present

Additional items to bring:

  • Last year’s tax returns, both state and federal, if you have them. If you do not have a copy, you can obtain a transcript at
  • Bank routing and account numbers if you want to direct-deposit your return (a check will have this information on it).
  • All wage and earnings statements, W-2, W-2G & 1099 from all employers.
  • Unemployment compensation statement (1099-G).
  • Educational Expenses.
  • Health Insurance marketplace Statement (1095-A).
  • Any other information about income and/or expenses. See this checklist for other items you may need.

* If you believe you will be eligible for Wisconsin Homestead Credit, available to qualifying Wisconsin residents with an income under $24,680, you will also need:

  • Your property tax bill or rent certificate
  •  Social Security benefits received during the tax year, including:
    • Federal & State SSI amounts
    • SSI-E
    • SSD
    • Caretaker Supplemental Payments
  • Wisconsin Works payments
  • Child Support received during the year you are filing.

For further information regarding Homestead Credit, visit or to print your rent certificate click here.